This week Google+ introduced Communities – which are much like Facebook Groups, a place where you can gather together with like-minded people and chat about chosen topics. The Google Official Blog tells us that the options are as follows.
- Public or private membership to support all kinds of groups—from topics and interests to local neighborhoods to regular poker nights
- Discussion categories to find the conversations you care about most
- The option to start hangouts and plan events with community members
- The ability to share with your community from any +1 button across the web
Anyone can create a community on anything they like, and invite people to join.
How to start a Google+ community
This is quite simple to create as we saw yesterday with so many invites for communities coming through it was overwhelming, but if you need help follow these instructions.
- Go to the communities icon on the left
- Click the red button on the top right (create a community)
- Make it public or private – and name the community.
- Click create a community
- Now its created you have a number of options
- You can…
- Write a tagline
- Add a photo
- Fill in About you
- Add discussion categories – this is helpful to set up as it make finding posts much easier.
When you’ve done all that – Click done and then you can invite people to your community – don’t invite everyone in all of your circles – that’s just annoying for people getting invites – be thoughtful and go through to choose people who you think will fit this particular subject.
Then go back to your community and I would set notifications to off. This is under your photo as a bell icon. I say this because – when the communities became available everyone decided to create one or two some much more than that – and there were so many notifications it was crazy. Or you could just leave it to members to turn off.
How to turn off notifications in a Google+ community
As I said these notifications were driving me crazy yesterday – it was a complete overload and the lovely Lisa Mason said, why don’t you turn them off ….. oh yeah! And peace was restored to my Google+ !
Go to the community and click the bell icon as you would for your own community. Peace!
How to turn off email notifications for Google+ communities
You can even turn off getting those pesky emails every 5 mins!
- Click on the Cog on the right hand side of Google+ profile page.
- Click settings
- Scroll down until you see – Communities.
- Invite me to a Community – Email – Phone, untick these.
Now I’ve turned all those off, Google+ is a much better place.
How to find your communities
So you’ve joined some communities and now you want to get stuck in and join in with the discussions but you’ve turned off notifications….(this was my worry at first).
Click the communities tab on the left and it will show all of your communities, if there is a red number on the corner of the picture, this means that you have unread messages in that community.
On this page you can also discover other communities you might want to join.
That’s all of the how to’s I can think of at the moment, if there is anything that you need help with or can help us with on this subject please write it in comments here, and I’m sure I can find out for you or I can add it here.
It seems so far we are loving these new groups and its really getting people communicating and reconnecting again on Google+ I think it might have been a wise move!
Hope this helps