I used to love cute little Paddington Bear when I was a child and seeing the Paddington Bear Application being launched brought it all back to me.
Who is Paddington Bear?
Paddington Bear is a classic story of a young bear from Darkest Peru, who ended up at Paddington Station, London, England. Mr and Mrs Brown found him there and took him home to live with them in a semi detached house in Nottinghill London.
Written by OBE Michael Bond, now 85, the first book entitled ”A Bear Called Paddington” was published in 1958 by HarpersCollins then known as William Collins and sons and the illustrator then was, Peggy Fortnum. However picture books for younger children were published in 1975 and were illustrated by Fred Banbery.
The Paddington books have sold more than thirty-five million copies worldwide and have been translated into over forty languages.
Paddington made the big screen, well, Television in 1975, Please Look After This Bear designed and directed by Ivor Wood and made in the UK by FilmFair Ltd. Pretty good stuff for 1975!
And now we’ve moved on a little farther – you can get Paddington from the Apple App store for £3.99 or $5.99 – The new application has been digitally adapted for the iTouch, iPad and iPhone by HCB and Bold Creative, to ensure that the story still flows correctly with interactivity.
Just a book? No, this is what you can do with this app
- Record your own video reading of the Paddington story! The app’s ability to remember several versions means a child can choose his or her digital bedtime storyteller for the evening.
- Take framed photos of you and your child with Paddington to send to family and friends, in association with the National Portrait Gallery. Share on Facebook and Twitter!
- Classic R. W. Alley illustrations now animated!
- Children can read alone, or along to the narration of Paul Vaughan, sharing a cosy reading experience with parents and grandparents.
- Background animation and sound means that curious readers can truly submerge themselves in the world of Paddington Bear.
- A classic Paddington experience with a sprinkling of digital magic
I hope that, if you haven’t done so already, that you introduce your child to Paddington Bear soon, this would be a great way of doing so.
Go to itunes.
Requirements: Compatible with iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad. Requires iOS 4.2 or later
Hope this helps